Shipping Operations Manager within Maritime
The job of Shipping Operations Manager within the Maritime industry is a very rewarding and interesting position. In this role you would be part of a team of people who are responsible for the day to day operations of a vessel, which means that your daily tasks would be very hands on.
Depending upon the employer, the role of Shipping Operations Manager can involve many different daily tasks that require you to work closely with other departments to ensure the safe operation of the vessel.
What does a Shipping Operations Manager job description include?
- You would be involved in the day to day operations of the ship including navigational safety, cargo, ballast and tank cleaning and inspections.
- Maintaining safety standards and procedures is a key part of the job as well as environmental management. You may also be required to act as a member of an Emergency Response Team.
- The Shipping Operations Manager will also be involved in the analysis and monitoring of operational data to ensure potential problems are averted. You will provide guidance to Masters, Fleet Managers and general management on any special requirements.
- The company may also require you to attending meetings or sit on committees established within the Maritime industry to represent the company.
- The Shipping Operations Manager will also provide advice to vessels and fleet management on cargo requirements, tank cleaning, stability and stress and to maintain all statutory requirements for the vessel in this field.
Key skills and qualifications of a Shipping Operations Manager:
- You must be educated to degree level and/or hold a recognised shipping qualification applicable to the role.
- A Shipping Operations Manager needs to be a good communicator who is capable of report writing in a clear and structured way. You must also have good negotiation skills.
- Leadership and management skills are essential in Operations Management and so you must be able to demonstrate previous experience of managing people, including performance assessment.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills is essential as you will be required to analyse operational data to help improve efficiencies and to also predict operational problems.
- You must be familiar is current computer programs used within the industry.