We are partnering with a leading manufacturing organisation is looking for a Senior Trade Compliance Manager to join their team in Tokyo, JP.
The role involves managing members of staff in a fast-paced environment. As well as managing all import and export compliance scenarios in accordance with the global trade compliance regulations.
- Extensive knowledge and ability to interpret Japanese government regulations and laws relating to export and import requirements.
- Build strong relationships with Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) on international trade matters, especially internal control program requirements.
- Knowledge of U.S. export control requirements under the ITAR, EAR, OFAC, and of other trade laws and regulations such as China, Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore and the EU is a plus.
- Oversee and manage the Trade Compliance staff located in Japan
- Strong ability to analyze and determine accurate product and technology classifications and to provide classification advice and counselling
- Experience assessing import and export compliance scenarios
- Facilitate, process, track, and manage export licenses (including bulk licences), commodity classification requests, etc. filed with METI
- Review and authorize trade transactions such as, export shipment documentation, orders for export release, foreign person visit requests, employee international travel and accompanying technical data, new hire/contractor on-boarding, etc.
- Assists and leads in process improvements and the implementation of compliance best practices, support trade related projects such as; system and process integration, import projects, modification and/or updates to trade compliance policies and procedures, internal reviews and/or audits, company-wide and new hire trade compliance training, and other projects as assigned.
- Keeps track of changes in government policies and export trends and advises senior management accordingly of significant changes and provides timely risk assessments.
- Works closely with functional areas to address business concerns, plans and coordinates trade activities, and provides guidance for inquiries received from employees, management, and customers
- Maintains all export related records including records of technical data transfers, defense services provided, and regulatory exemptions used, etc.
- Maintains any active registrations with METI and other government agencies
- Over 10 years Trade Compliance, Customs and Export Control experience
- Prior experience within engineering would be beneficial
- Experience with Japanese export and import regulations; experience conducting investigations, audits, and assessments; experience navigating the relationships between various government agencies responsible for export control laws and regulations
- Knowledge of U.S. export control regulations under the ITAR, EAR and FACR
- Experience in processing and managing export license applications through METI
- Fluency in English and Japanese is essential
Share this vacancy
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posted: 12 Apr 2021